Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Konza Prairie


While Reagan was in Texas, helping her sister move, my friend and I drove out to the Konza Prairie. The Konza Priairie is a 8,616 acre plot of land run by the Kansas State University. There are nice, well established trails that go over barren prairie hills and into wooded river valleys. These trails make it nice for an easy hike.

I had just purchased a used camera from Reagan's little brother (Jodie) and was curious to see what all it could do. I strapped a tripod onto the outside of my backpack, loaded up some water and hit the dirt.


Jony (pronounced Johnny) and I timed the trek to take place at sunset. This way there would be less traffic and a better chance for good photographs. When taking photos in the wild, I try to shoot for evenings or early mornings. I usually see more wildlife and colorful cloud formations. This trek, however, I wasn't able to see any clouds.


Wildlife was another story. Every turn we were met with shuffles in the underbrush, birds smashing their beaks into trees or turkeys heading down to the stream for a drink. I was suprised to see over 20 female turkeys huddling around and completely oblivious to us hiking next to them.


For all of those who do not know how to get to the Konza Prairie, check out this website. I have recommended the Konza Prairie to all of my friends and family. It is a kid friendly outing that will almost guarantee some "Oohs" and "Awes".



0 comments: