Friday, October 23, 2009

Three-Wheat Bread

I learned to make bread a few weeks ago from a friend and although she kneads it by hand, I decided to incorporate my kitchen aide into the process to save my hands. It worked well but next time I make it I will halve the recipe and knead two separate batches. There was a little too much in the mixer with the whole recipe.


Three-Wheat Bread

3 cups lukewarm water
1/2 cup honey
2 tablespoons molasses
3 tablespoon sea salt
1/2 cup oil
5 cups whole wheat flour
3 cups unbleached white flour, approximately.
1 cup cracked wheat

1. Mix together the warm water, honey, molasses and yeast. Let stand five minutes. Stir in the salt, oil, whole wheat flour, two cups unbleached white flour and the cracked wheat. Mix well.
2. Turn the dough out onto a floured board and gradually incorpoarte enough of the remaining flour to make a dough that is not sticky. Knead until smooth and satiny, about 10 minutes.
3. Place in a clean oiled bowl; turn to oil top of dough. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk, about one and one-half hours. Punch down, fold and turn so that the smooth side is up. Cover and let rise again about 45 minutes.
4. Divide the dough into two. One portion may be frozen at this stage if not needed. Shape each dough portion into a round loaf and place on a cookie sheet. Cover and let rise until doubled in bulk, about 45 minutes.
5. Preaheat the oven to 350 degrees (325 degrees if a glass pan).
6. Bake 50 minutes or until loaf sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom.

My notes: This recipe makes three good sized loaves, not two. I used two medium sized bread pans and one round Pyrex. I did not quite follow the timing guidelines that the recipe calls for when it came to rising and baking. I checked on the dough in each stage and when it seemed to "double in size" etc. I followed the next step. Usually it did not take the full amount of time and it worked out fine...Next time, I need to lower the oven temp. because I didn't remember to do that since I was cooking with glass. I love that this solely uses honey and molasses to sweeten.



After taking it out of the oven, I put a honey/butter mix on top to give it some shine.

I am looking forward to the next time I make bread! For now though, I have 2 loaves in the freezer.

0 comments: