Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Organizing the Attic

One of my goals this summer before the baby comes was to organize the attic. For some reason I always think we have a bunch of junk just sitting up there when in reality it's stuff that we don't want to get rid of - like camping gear, holiday decorations, computer cords, school supplies, winter clothes and keepsakes from growing up. The main thing I wanted to do was the transfer everything from boxes to storage totes and label everything. Mission accomplished! I had been planning to have a garage sale since in my mind there was just junk up there but I only came away with a few things that I felt we didn't need to keep.


Our attic varies based on the temperature and so right now it's pretty hot and humid up there. I had originally been making my own labels that were nice and big and sticking them on with packing tape but the next day when I went up to put something away I saw that they had all peeled off on one side. I wasn't sure what to do and when I told a friend about it, she suggested that I use tags. These are on the small side but the package was $1.60 for 100 so I thought I'd give it a try. The storage totes have a small hole in the handle on both sides and so I threaded the string part of the tag through it. I just love it because it's all the same and has some form of identity even though they are on the small side.




One of the things that I transferred from boxes to storage totes were a few of Jere's things his grandparents gave him when he was a child. His mom's parents collected and gave him a train set. I would love to see it set up someday again.





Jere's dad's father gave him lincoln logs. Jere says he thinks that his grandpa made all of them for him. I am in love with these because our little guy can play with these as a toddler. There are tons of them in all sorts of sizes and shapes! These types of things are definitely a good reason to get out in the storage room and go through the totes/boxes and just remember what you have.






2 comments:

Lynn said...

It looks great! I love the little tags - very cute... Just last night Scott was saying that lincoln logs are the best toy ever.... can we come for a play date ???

Reagan said...

I would love it for you guys to come over and play with us :) I really want to get them out and play with them myself...