Friday, September 5, 2008

Our First Volleyball Night

Last night I played volleyball with my team for the first time. I had such a great time. Our team includes Joe, Jessie, Brian, Rachelle and Lynn. Lynn is still out of town but five players was just fine.


We're playing in a Parks & Rec "Rec/CO-ED" league. There is a competitive league but I was too intimidated to sign us up for that! Unfortunately for Brian and Joe there is no spiking for guys. Technically they can still hit it over with one hand pretty powerfully just as long as their hand doesn't extend past their elbow into a full out straight hit. Make sense??? The good thing is that us girls can get tons of practice! Jessie and Rachelle took turns spiking with Joe and Brian setting them and they are just awesome! I am amazed when I watch them and I'm hoping that I'll get better as we play each week.


I think I really need to thank Brian for humbling and lowering himself to this level of competition. He's not used to being so non-competitive I know he is probably struggling...Maybe I should bring him a present next game. Or maybe I'll make him a little plaque - it would be called the:


"lower my amazing sports talent and competitive spirit for the sake of helping my friends play volleyball award"


What do you think??? Should I make it for him?


We play in sets of three and so the first team we played we won the first match, lost the second and won the third! The second team we played, we won all three games.


Until yesterday around 1pm, I had completely forgotten that we were supposed to have our first meet! Thankfully I realized and was able to contact everyone to see if they were up for it. Apparentely sickness is already out and about and several members of our team were not feeling well on Wednesday. They were well enough to play last night though and I'm so glad we could meet.


All in all, I had a great time last night and I am hoping everyone else did too!

5 comments:

Shawna said...

this made me laugh out loud! I am looking forward to coming to some of your games!

As for brians present...how about a shirt that says:

LMASTACSFTSAHMFPVA

Reagan said...

I think that's a fantastic idea...hmmmmm

Rachel said...

Glad you guys had fun! Sounds like a blast.

Jessie said...

It was a lot of fun. YOU did a great job. Brian did look a little frustrated in the first game not being able to spike. But he and Joe had a good time hamming it up after that :)
"Send it!" "MINE"
I am looking forward to more games

Kelly said...

Sooo much fun! I'm so jealous! I miss my volleyball days...sadly, I haven't been able to find a team around here!! :-( Keep sharing your stories so I can live vicariously through you!