Friday, April 25, 2008

Purse Set #2

This is the purse that started my purse obsession. Some people may not consider what I am describing as an obsession. I think it is because I went from hating and dreading shopping, clothes and purses to gradually being okay with it and then once I found this purse...loving it.


I found this purse the first time I went to New York City. I went with my now-husband Jere and we stayed with his aunt who has a little apartment and lives in Manhattan. One night we were walking to dinner and we saw a table with a bunch of purses - there were all sorts of sizes and color range. We stopped and looked and I pulled this one out. Let me tell you - for me that was such a bold move. I had never had a red purse! I thought I was going to be the coolest thing with this cute purse. I mean IT IS really cute. It's also my only red purse. I believe this is the purse that started my obsession with the color red. Anyways I showed aunt Annetta and she loved it too. So I did what I always do...I hung on to it and looked around to make sure I wouldn't find anything just a little bit more awesome. Then proceeded to pay $20 for it. Man, $20 was a lot for me to pay at the time but hey I was in New York, had money to shop and I was going to spend it! On that trip I also bought practically a whole new wardrobe at a little store called Strawberry Jam...For some reason I loved their stuff.




I made this wallet my junior year in college. I think I made it to match my red purse so I could have a cute matching set (I bought the purse first the year before and then made this wallet). I don't know why I was so into the matching wallet/purse theme in college. I remember sitting in my apartment on my built-in bed with the windows open feeling creative and ready for change. I had some fabric in a drawer that I kept all of my crafty art project related stuff, some cardboard and some thread. So I made this hand sewed wallet. It even has pockets for cards/cash/checkbook and velcro to hold the pockets together.





I am keeping my red purse because it would go with a lot of outfits in a pinch but I was thinking about getting rid of this wallet. After writing this post I am wondering if I should keep it because I made it to match my purse...


Hmm...AGH! I am getting rid of it....I can't keep it, I need to purge!

4 comments:

Rachel said...

well, even if you do get rid of it, at least you've documented it's existence!

MagenRanae said...

You're too funny. It'd be hard for me to get rid of it if I had made something so cool! Good luck with the rest of your purging.

angela | the painted house said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! Ah, purses! I remember those days fondly when I all I had to schlep around was a tube of lipstick, keys, and credit card. Now I have to shift through diapers, bibs, wipes, crumbling crayons, pee cups (don't ask), and toys just to find my lipstick, keys, and credit card. :)

Read that you are going to backpack Europe--FUN! My husband and I did that 11 years ago when we were first married. I'm so glad we did it.

Anonymous said...

That's a very cute purse and I think you should keep the wallet. When you get to be my age it will even mean more to you. - especially since you made it by hand. That's an accomplishment! ( but if you've already thrown it away, at least you have a picture of it, as Rachel said). Hope to see you soon. Laura Renes