Tuesday, April 8, 2008

KU WINS and Other Weekend News

I have to say, this has been one of the best weekends I've had in a long time. Now that I know I have about 15 readers, I have to keep everyone updated on what's going on in my life!

Friday night was fun. Jere and I were headed out to eat and
friends called to see if we wanted to eat at their house. We'll take dinner anytime you offer! After a great dinner of pizza calzone and hang time we headed home and worked around the house. I stayed up till 2am while Jere went to bed around 10pm. (after promising he would get up early to work around the house while I slept in till 10am)

Saturday was even better. Jere was up around 7am (which is normal, but on a weekend it's commendable) painting stuff and getting tons of work done. Jere and I hosted a wedding shower for our new friends Brian and Rachelle who are getting married in about 7 weeks. We had a scavenger hunt, banana splits, presents and bonding time. The scavenger hunt was all about finding local places through clues and taking pictures to show Brian and Rachelle. They are moving here after they get married and it's going to be totally new to them!

After the wedding shower (which was a blast!) we went to Dave and Rachel's to watch KU beat UNC and move on to the championship game!! Oh my goodness, was that a good game. It was a good game although I wasn't stressed because KU had the lead for most the time. Even though the wedding shower was held at 6:30pm we were able to watch the game because Dave and Rachel have DVR. What a great invention. Our game time started at 10:30pm even though most people in our group figured out that KU had already won since fireworks were going off and people were cheering all over the place.

Sunday was relaxing. Jere and I went to church, got treated to Taco Tico's by Joe and Jessie - Thanks guys!! The food was better than I expected!! After lunch, Jere and I went home to a 3.5 hour nap. Oh it was delicious. We had salad for dinner. Jere went to campus and I took my old puppy for a walk. The weather was so nice. Lady and I walked to a park and I sat and read while she ran around exploring. I love watching her roll in the grass and actually behave like a puppy even though she is 105 in dog years. After our walk, I took a comfy chair to our front porch and read for over an hour while Lady slept beside me. Did I mention how nice the weather was? After it got dark, I did the dishes and decorated my coupon box. I had random paper, so I decorated it randomly! I actually like the way it turned out. It was just a plain old shoebox before.

I was in the middle of decorating my shoebox and waiting for Joe and Jessie to come over and play cards when I found out that my had grandpa passed away that evening. While this does not fit in with the "best weekend I've had in a long time theme", his passing is apart of my life and came suddenly (to me it came suddenly, apparently he had been in the hospital for two weeks). Joe and Jessie walked in about 5 minutes after my dad had given me the news and even though I was upset, I thought that playing cards would help take my mind off of being upset. We had fun and now I have a new card game to master.

Monday was back to work, but not back to normal - yet. KU was in the championship game at 8:20pm against Memphis and OH MY, IT WAS SO AMAZING! Jere and I headed over to Dave and Rachel's after our respective classes that ended at 8pm. Even though it would have been fun to be at Allen Field house with the crowd, we had a great time. The game was so close the whole time and we were so lucky that Chalmers made a 3 pt shot which tied the game...Did I say AMAZING?!! My heart was pounding towards the end - I remember watching the championship game five years ago when KU lost and Roy Williams left. Last night I kept wondering "Could this actually happen? Oh my gosh it's actually happening!".

This weekend has been pretty amazing and yet there is also an indescribable sadness in my heart. The last time I saw my grandpa was at Christmas and I don't feel like I got to say "goodbye". He'd been sick on and off, but I didn't realize how serious it was. Call me naive. He was in his late 70's and I guess that stuff just takes a toll on the body. It's still a shock, but maybe I can say goodbye at his funeral this Thursday.


dave & rachel said...

I am so sorry about your grandpa - that is never easy. I am praying for you!

HopiQ said...

I'm sorry to hear about your grandpa, too. You are in my prayers.

My parents had a total blast at the shower! Sounds like a very special time.

Scott and Lynn said...

We'll pray for you tomorrow at the funeral. We wondered if something had happened (Scott accidentally got a message I think meant for a relative of yours named Scott, on Facebook) Even when someone is older, it's still hard to let them go... that's a nice photo of your grandpa.

Glad you had a great weekend. I was sorry to have to miss the rest of the shower!

Jessie said...

I've been thinking about you all week and praying for you too.

bandanachick said...

Hey Reagan...I just saw your comment on Brooke's blog about seeing a metal star at Lowes...can you tell me what section you saw that in? I have been looking for a large metal star...thanks!