Wednesday, January 9, 2008

On My Mind

I read in Genesis the other day about Hagar, Ishmael and Sarai in chapter 16. One thing that has been on my mind ever since, is when Hagar ran from Sarai because Sarai was treating her harshly (my bible emphasizes this). An angel of the Lord asked Hagar why she was running and she said she was being treated harshly. The thing that amazes me about this is that the angel told her to submit herself under Sarai's hand even though she was being treated this way. He also told her that her descendants would be in great numbers. I obviously don't know what Sarai was doing, but I can only imagine she was beating her or something.

The thing that amazes me is that God always has a plan even though we don't understand it fully at the time and even if the circumstances aren't the best. Ishmael went on and had 12 sons and helped create the generation of stars in the sky that God told Abraham he wouldn't be able to count. If Hagar had not done what God asked of her, who knows where we would be.

3 comments:

Scott and Lynn said...

So many times I look at a bad situation and wonder what God is going to do with it.

I am always being reminded of the verse - "To Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask and imagine..." Eph. 3:20

I love it that we have a God who can take anything and make it work out for His glory - and make it better than we could even begin to imagine!

Shawna said...

great thoughts reagan!

it is a joy to serve the One who knows the end from the beginning!

Rachel said...

I have appreciated that story too. It reminds me that obedience to the authority that God has put me under is--even when it doesn't make sense to me--allows God to work, in my life and in others'. This is hard stuff. Not our natural tendancy, for sure.

Thanks for sharing!