Thursday, September 10, 2009

Six Weeks Old

Today Brighton is six weeks old and so I decided to mark the date by taking a chunk out of his thumb. Not really...But seriously he could have a scar from this which would really mark his six week birthday...

I was cutting his fingernails when the clipper slipped and took a pretty good sized piece out of the tip of his right thumb. I sat there for a few seconds trying to assess the damage. He was faced away from me and it didn't start bleeding until I turned him around. After he was turned around he looked at me and gave this pitiful little cry, I tried to comfort him but realized it was starting to bleed. I grabbed a burp rag I had near by and started nursing him simultaneously and then sat there trying to stop the bleeding. I called Jere who suggested that I put neosporin, gauze and tape on his little thumb so that's what I did. He was already so tired that he fell right to sleep after I cuddled him up in a blanket and I think I'm gonna go join him. Unfortunately I don't think this will be the last time I hurt him but I won't be cutting his nails for a while!






3 comments:

Eryn said...

these things happen! dont stress. i have made my kids fingers bleed many times from cutting nails. it willheal, he will never know.

Rachel said...

sounds like you were probably more traumatized than he was! What a sweet little boy he is...give him lots of cuddles today. :)

Rachel Whitten said...

Poor baby one! It's ok though, the other day I cut ALL of Colter's fingernails too short and he was in pain for days, and let me know about it. =) I never realized clipping fingernails could be so harrowing!