Wednesday, July 29, 2009

40 Weeks Pregnant

Yesterday was my due date. I'm officially 40 weeks. Please don't feel sorry for me, I don't feel sorry for myself. I do however feel bad for my husband who is so excited to meet his son that he can hardly suppress the need to ask if I'm having contractions since the last time I talked to him. My answer? Nope! Apparently, I AM dilated to 2 centimeters and over 50% effaced (meaning my cervix has thinned out?) but that doesn't mean anything, he could still be in there next week.

Your newborn
How your baby's growing: - Still inside the womb...not outside.

Because he was is curled up inside your uterus until recently still, your newborn baby will probably look scrunched up for a while, with his arms and legs not fully extended. He may even appear bowlegged. Thank goodness.

Don't worry: Your baby will stretch out, little by little,
once he's out of the womb and by the time he reaches 6 months, he'll be fully unfurled! Let's hope he's out before then... In the meantime, as he adjusts to life outside the warm, as he stays in the safe confines of your womb, he may enjoy being swaddled in a light blanket. you may enjoy another Starbucks drink, Chinese food for dinner and movies with your husband.

• Learn more fascinating facts about your newborn's development.

Your life: You're a parent! - False.
This week, reality sets in — you have a baby! you don't have a baby yet! He's all yours, he's home with you, still in your womb and he's still dependent on you for love, care, and feeding. No doubt you've been reading up on what to do and how to do it. I have? We have plenty of articles and tools to refresh your memory and teach you new tips, but here's our best advice this week: Don't try to master the art of caring for a baby all at once. (not a problem) Take it easy, take it slow. Check. Your newborn is taking it easy too more durable than you might think, while still in the womb. He's getting used to you as much as you and your partner are getting used to him. Like all good relationships, this one will take some time. And has to wait till he's born to start!



I hope this doesn't sound bitter. I am not bitter. I just don't understand why baby center would not have the foresight to send an email asking if you've had your baby yet before telling you that you have a newborn? If this were addressed to a woman counting on her due date she would probably feel depressed!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You're funny.

I hope you can catch some good zzzz's before he does make his appearance. Hopefully the hubby can survive the wait! :)

Jessie said...

:) well he will be ready soon. I am glad you are not stressing-just sleep and rest.
Poor Jere, he will be here soon enough.

Rachel said...

Haha, that was hilarious!

I know you're ready, and he'll be here soon!