Thursday, September 11, 2008

Today's That Day

I was in physics class on 9/11 seven years ago. I had just turned 18. It was just like any other day; until that tragic event. Apparently there was an announcement over the intercom system that I didn't hear. The teacher turned on the TV in the room and we watched a plane flying into a tower. To this day I don't know if what we were watching re-runs of the first plane...or if I was watching the second plane as it hit the tower. I thought I was watching something involved in the physics class...you know flying planes into stuff? I guess I just really wasn't paying attention.

Later that day everyone in town seemed to be freaking out about buying gas. While I thought it was a good idea, the lines were too long! So I passed on buying gas that day. I was glad because later on the news I heard that gas station owners had hiked up prices unfairly. When I went home I could not tear myself away from the television. I yearned to know more.

I wasn't sure what to do or what I should do, if anything. So my siblings and I made a HUGE flag out of paper and colored the whole thing and laminated it with packing tape and hung it outside the window of our garage so people on the street could see it. We wrote bible verses on the inside and signed it on the back. Hm I wonder where that thing is...

My dad once told me that he was in chemistry class when they found out that JFK was assassinated. Someday, I'll tell my kids that I was in physics class when the twin towers were hit. Where were you when the planes crashed into the twin towers?

2 comments:

lanes said...

I can't believe it's been seven years since that day. It was my freshman year at High, and I was in Journalism class!

Ren said...

i remember that flag....:) that was so cool. i was with your sis in Mrs. Vega's creative writing class when we heard about it!