Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Meaningful to Me

This morning I was annoyed. It's a bad habit I have, to wake up annoyed. I got out of bed, used the toilet and jumped in the shower. Got dressed (slowly) and groaned in frustration at my inability to come up with new ways to repurpose my wardrobe. (I have plenty of clothes) Put foundation on my nose, powder over my whole face and mascara on my eyelashes. When I finally came out of the bedroom I prepared two bowls of cereal for Jere and I and sat down to eat it.

I don't remember exactly what I said but something to the effect of "I feel crazy". Jere got up and retrieved my bible. I thought "good idea". I opened it to Psalms and just started from the beginning. I was reading, something caught my eye and I just stopped.

"My voice You shall hear in the morning, O Lord; In the morning I will direct it to You, And I will look up."

Psalms 5:3

This is so meaningful to me for a couple of reasons. One, because it helped me think about how to change my attitude immediately. My words in the morning are not directed, just thrown about carelessly.
Two, because I love this song. I have only ever heard it at the chapel I go to and it's taken directly from this psalm.

"Lord in the morning will I direct my prayer unto thee and will look up"

This is just the last verse of the song, but it is my absolute favorite verse and I could go around singing this all day. In fact, I did! The Lord guided my sweet husband to help me change my attitude and it's something I've been pondering all day long.

Just so you know...I spared you the horrible recording I did of myself singing that verse.  Fortunately for everyone involved, I couldn't upload it from my phone to the computer.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

I love that verse too. And probably would have enjoyed hearing you sing it! :)

Fellowship with Him is so vital - thanks for sharing that!

Jessie said...

I do love scripture songs. I find that singing them or Hymns really help change my mood. It is really hard to think about my woes when I am singing 'Amazing Grace' or 'The Old Rugged Cross"

rallywhit said...

It's a great way to change an attitude--absolutely. I need it so often.

See you tonight!