Friday, July 18, 2008

Malicious Talk

Malicious talk and behavior is something I have trouble with. I know how I developed this problem, but I don't want to place blame anywhere. I cultured this problem on my own, so I will own it. This verse has been put on my heart in the past and lately I've been thinking about it a lot. Are my words and actions glorifying to God? When I think about, I think no. Sometimes I wonder if I really sound mean and other times I think people understand that I am just joking around. The problem is, Ephesians 5:4 says specifically not to talk foolishly or in jest. I jest a lot. All I can do is to pray and think consciously about what I am saying, choosing my words carefully in an uplifting manner. Only with God's grace will I be able to change my mindset and attitude.


Ephesians 5:2-7
5:2 And walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us, and hath given himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet smelling savour.
5:3 But fornication, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not be once named among you, as becometh saints;
5:4 Neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient: but rather giving of thanks.
5:5 For this ye know, that no whore monger, nor unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, hath any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God.
5:6 Let no man deceive you with vain words: for because of these things cometh the wrath of God upon the children of disobedience.
5:7 Be not ye therefore partakers with them.


My question is...how can I show love for my family and friends without seeming weird in complimenting all the time??? In my mind, I joke around with the people that I love. The problem is that my joking takes a wrong turn sometimes and does not uplift people. I'll be pondering this constantly, so any suggestions are very welcome.
How do you keep a positive and uplifting mindset?

0 comments: