Monday, March 3, 2008

Ballet

I took ballet when I was younger. I was in the Nutcracker five or six times I think? Let's see, I'm trying to remember what roles I had.

Angel (2 times?)
Soldier
Snowflake
Adolescent Party Girl
Candy Cane
Flower

I wish I could remember more but I think my favorite role was the candy cane. We wore tight red and white striped outfits that went to our ankles. One arm had a long sleeve and the other arm was bare with a skin colored elastic to hold the shoulder up. The main move whenever the chorus came was to first kick the right leg high in the air (preferebly above the head) and then the left leg. Then to run in formation kicking heels to booty. While there were other moves, this was my favorite part. There were six of us in the scene kicking our legs in the air and dancing with red and white striped hula hoops.

My second favorite role was the adolescent party girl. I liked this role because I got to wear an 'old fashioned' dress. I think mine was green with pink trimming. I love the dress because it had a full skirt and I used to think it would be so fun to live in the days of Laura Ingalls Wilder and wear dresses all the time. In the party scene each age group does a dance and it was simple but fun! Coincidentally, I believe I had both of these roles in one year...

I stopped taking dance when I was about 12 or 13 but I was on the dance team ("The Highline", as it was called) and I almost minored in dance in college. I enjoy dance and so I decided in January to take a ballet class. Ballet is my first dance love and Jazz is second. I love being graceful and performing. I also love the feeling of working muscles that I wouldn't normally be moving doing "chasse's", "developpe's", "frappe's", "glissade's", "plie's", " pirouette's", ronde de jamp's", "sous-sus's", "tombe's", and "pique's".

My goal is to take this class so I can try out for the Nutcracker in the fall.

1 comments:

bandanachick said...

Wow, very impressive!